Friday, November 7, 2008

Geocaching as a new hobby.

Hello all.

I've created this seperate blog as a way to share with you our geocaching adventures. Before leaving for our weekend in Hocking Hills, my wonderful hubby gave me a TomTom GPS system. My sister Karyn later picked up her own GPS, same make and model as mine, and told me about her discovering of geocaching while online researching her unit.

I started looking into this interesting version of hide and seek and decided that not only would it be fun for me because I love scavenger hunts, but I think it might be something for Hunter and I to do together. We both enjoy watching movies, reading and computer games, but I've been striking out in getting him to do more active and outdoor activities.

When I approached him about it, I described it as treasure hunting with Richard (what we call our GPS unit). I also said that once a cache is found, we can pick and choose any one of a few to many small items to trade for another small item we bring with us. Hunter has a TON of small things scattered throughout his bedroom. We took the small soft, deep purple draw string bag that his father's Crown Royale whiskey came in and deposited marbles, a dice, a Chuck E. Cheese token, an army and an indian man, lizard, spider, glow in the dark dinosaur and other similar items, into it.


We also made a journal, seperate from the cache logbooks we'd be adding our names to, to track our progress and log memories. Not only is it our own personal record of our adventures, but it's a way for Hunter to practice his printing. Inside this yellow notebook we pasted cache information of our choice from the www.geocaching.com website. In our own hand we'd pen in the hints, if any, that we had to decipher and after our search was complete, we'd write in our observations one there and our geocaching experience.

Before we did all this though, we had to come up with a name. I wrote down a list of synonyms and we picked through the list, listening for what sounded good. We both agreed on The Cache Checkers.

So, here's something more for you all to read, like I don't already overwhelm you! We're going to attempt our first find next weekend and hope to do two each on Saturday and Sunday.

Until then!

Yolanda and Hunter

No comments: